A trip packed with adventure. A bag packed with the right clothes.
- Backpacking. Travel light. Pack smart.
- Back 3–4 of the basics: t-shirts, tank tops, socks, undergarments
- Shoes: black sandals (can be dressed up/down), walking shoes
- Key special items: long sleeve top; raincoat; swimsuit; a quality pair of pants and tights; sunhat and sunglasses
- Neutrals — no whites, blues, blacks, dark colours or bright colours
- Be YOU — personalize your outfits with accessories or pieces that reflect your personality and wit.
- Have fun with it!
Pack to dress with layers.
How do you know if you’re over-packing?
I use the rule of 3:
One set of clothes on you. The other clean. The other in the wash.
Rotate. Mix and Match.
Here’s what I love for my safari:
This top by American Apparel is cotton and versatile. Great for a little understated glam while on safari day and night.
Ex-officio makes awesome pieces that are safari-friendly. This top is insect repellent and it works! Post-safari, it’s a great top for outdoor sports and running.
Tights in White Black Afrika print from American Apparel. 100% cotton. It's a must have for cool morning and evenings throughout your trip. Sweatshop-free clothing.
These pants are as light as air; quick drying; and made of recycled materials. They are made by Patagonia, a champion of sustainable clothing.
This wind-breaker/rain jacket rolls up into a small pouch is extremely useful for safari and all your travel adventures. Also made by Patagonia.
For packing, this duffle backpack from MEC is genius! It opens along its widest side so you don't have to dig deep as you would into a normal backpack, and it's the perfect 40L backpack to fit 4 large MEC packing cubes.
The packing cubes are awesome for organizing your clothes for easy unpacking and packing. 1 for tops, 1 for bottoms, 1 for specialty clothing, 1 for dirty clothes. And they have handles for easy hanging and carrying.
I also recommend the quick-drying mesh hanging toiletries bag so you will be totally organized in tiny showers where you may not have any countertop space.
Monkey approves the clothing and the packing items too!
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 2.5 Canada License.