12 Days of Christmas. Are you ready?
12 affordable, unique, high quality, and sustainably produced gifts.
1. The Dorze Scarf from TAARIK ($120)
- hand-woven in Ethiopia, and printed in the traditional design that the Dorze tribe has used for 500 years. Yes, that is dope. Pretty much the antidote for your 'basic bitch' scarf. Compliments guaranteed.
2. Veja Esplar Leather Copper Shoes ($107)
-made with low impact chrome leather and sustainable rubber by a company that embodies transparency and sustainability. These babies are an affordable, sustainable alternative to metallic Adidas kicks. A must-have for everyone shoe maniac. They turn every outfit into a special one.
3. Red Velvet Bow-Tie from Maison Des Bows ($70)
-everyone knows how obsessed I am with bow-ties. On women, they are a great alternative to a necklace. And HELLO RED VELVET for the holidays. Pair with rouged lips and people will line up to smooch you under the mistletoe.
4. Swedish Socks & Tights from Happy Socks ($12)
- don't even think of considering yourself fashionable if you don't appreciate the sock. Good socks as gifts are marvelous, especially if they are made by this family-run Swedish brand that works directly with its manufacturing team in Turkey and Italy, uses high-quality cotton, and isn't afraid to play with colour. For tights and pantyhose, you want to skip itchy nylon and opt for Swedish Stockings ($19) made with polyamide.
5. Eucalan no-rinse delicate fabric-wash liquid ($8)
- a great stocking stuffer, this washing liquid is made is only the good stuff like essential oils of grapefruit, jasmine or lavender. Perfect for delicate knits, lingerie, and all those little items you're too afraid to wash in the machine. Smell = heaven.
6. Stella McCartney for Adidas Low Waste No-Dye Sweatshirt ($75)
- Voila! Sweatpants that you can actually pull off at Sunday brunch. Stella opts for boxy designs that maximize the use of the fabric (minimizes fabric waste). It's also no-dye, which means it saved a ton of water during the manufacturing process. A beautiful neutral colour, a timeless kimino-boxy shape that's figure flattering. Go for the matching sweatpants too!
7. Ela Mini M.I.L.C.K Clutch with Leather Strap - Sage Stud ($265)
-M.I.L.C.K' stands for money, ID, lipstick, cell, keys. Toronto's Ela Handbags believes in 'humble luxury', bags built with excellent materials like real silver hardware, lambskin leather and by workers who are treating fairly whether they are located in Spain or China. Gwyneth Paltrow is a fan. If you want a Christmasy red, catch this Lipstick coloured clutch on sale at $188 before it's gone.
8. Anton Heunis Padparadscha earrings ($89)
-skip the usual trip to the Swarovski store for these unique earrings made from salvaged materials like 22 carat gold plated brass, Padparadscha sapphire (found in Sri Lanka and Vietnam), and crystals. I'm also in love with the design and shape. Made in Madrid.
9. EcoAlf Oslo Silver Backpack ($129)
- made from recycled plastic bottles and super soft to the touch, this superbly designed bag features sturdy metal zippers, a laptop compartment, and is water repellent. Another compliment-ready item with a cool story behind it. For men or women, pair with your daily suit or dress down.
10. Matt & Nat Laptop Sleeve Verve in Cardamon ($38)
-Another Canadian success story, Matt & Nat makes all their bags out of recycled materials, and somehow managed to arrive at a cool faux-leather finish that ages well over time. Brilliant. They carry everything from diaper bags to wristlets. Affordable, sustainable and chic.
11. Everlane's A-Line Silk Long-Sleeve Dress ($130)
- I used to shy away from buying clothing as gifts because of sizing and shape, but then I found elegant normcore pieces that suit anyone, are made with great fabrics like this crepe-de-chine silk dress that can we worn in many ways. Everlane believes in affordable sustainable fashion and builds timeless pieces for your wardrobe. They are also transparent about where each piece was made and how much it cost for all its inputs.
12. Relomoto Domagas Bamboo Watch ($65)
-everyone needs a watch for when the clock strikes 12 on NYE. This watch is made from bamboo, a sustainable and energy efficient wood that ages beautifully over time. Relomoto will also engrave the back of the watch for you with a special message.
I hope I did you justice when it comes to unique, sustainable gift ideas with stories.
Whatever you end up buying for your loved ones, I wish you a safe and happy holiday season!
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 2.5 Canada License.